Details Larger Image
E-BOOK- Designing and Implementing Career Programs: A Handbook for Effective Practice
Author/Editor: James P. Sampson, Jr. PhD
The purpose of this handbook is to stimulate discussion among senior managers, managers, practitioners, administrative staff, and stakeholders about the cost-effective design and delivery of career resources, service-delivery tools, and services for adolescents and adults in career centers and schools who have varying needs for assistance in making occupational, educational, training, and employment decisions. Monograph by James P. Sampson, Jr., Ph.D.
- Self-help, brief staff-assisted, individual case-managed, and distance delivery
- Seven-step service delivery sequence
- Four-step model for promoting effective use of assessment and information resources
- Selecting, sequencing, and pacing the use of career resources
- Signage, maps, resource guides, diagnostic assessment, and individual learning plans
- Career resource rooms, Internet Web sites, and information handouts
Program Evaluation Strategies
Five-step Model for Providing Accountability Data
Eight-step Implementation Model
Making Implementation a Success
Strategies for Adapting the Models Presented in the Handbook
Resources Available in the Appendices and Accompanying CD-ROM include:
- Glossary of key terms
- Staff training handout, "Key Elements in Designing and Implementing Career Resources and Services"
- Template and example of a resource guide
- Identifying potential career resources and services for resource guides
- Resource guide worksheet
- Individual learning plan
- Example of a completed individual learning plan
- Example of an information handout
- Implementation checklist
- Worksheet for managing implementation
PowerPoint presentations for staff training on the following topics are included: career services, service-delivery tools, career resources, evaluation and accountability, eight-step implementation model, and implementation success.
To view these PowerPoint presentations, visit the companion article in Career Convergence.
View Chapter 1 (PDF)
A book review is available online in NCDA's Career Convergence web magazine.
- Career Information Resources/Curriculum/Activities
- Coaching/Consultation/Performance Improvement
- Ethical/Legal Issues
Stock#: 952.5 Mfr#: ISBN: 978-1-885333-21-6
NCDA’s Career Knowledge Series is designed for individuals wishing to understand career development. Each of the 8 titles in the series provides a thorough introduction and discussion for its specialized topic and is between 30 and 80 pages. Titles in this series include:
• Providing Career Services to Multicultural Populations
• The Role of Career Information and Technological Resources in Career Planning
• Job Seeking and Employability Skills
• Designing and Implementing Career Services
• Developing a Helping Relationship
• Training and Leading Groups
• Career Development Theory and Its Application
• The Role of Assessment in Career Planning
This month, the complete multi-book series which includes 8 titles is discounted by $10. Continue shopping the Career Resource Store to purchase the discounted series or view more about each one in the series (Note, each book can be purchased independently at the regular price.)
The $10 discount on the complete multi-book series ends August 31, 2020.
Career Knowledge Series, set of 8 books, $10 off
Many of our products include links to Book Reviews or Excerpts, which are also archived in our Career Convergence web magazine.