Government Relations & Public Policy
NCDA established its first legislative agenda during the 2008 annual Global Conference in Washington, DC. Since then, NCDA has made public policy an important cornerstone of its work, as described in NCDA's Philosophy on Public Policy: Advocating for Career Development. NCDA is represented in Washington, DC by the Government Relations Committee. The Committee’s members represent NCDA’s diverse membership. Its goal is to identify and advocate legislation and policies which support the mission of NCDA and its members. The Government Relations Committee communicates and collaborates with NCDA committees, including the Veterans Committee and the CDF Advisory Council, and related professional organizations including the American Counseling Association, the Automation Federation and the State Directors of Career and Technical Education. Communicating with and collaborating with key federal departments, including the Departments of Education, Labor and Veterans Affairs is an important part of the Committee’s work. The Committee encourages NCDA members to become actively involved in communicating with their elected representatives, informing them of the services they provide, and of the support they need to provide those services.
LEGISLATIVE ALERTS, UPDATES & NEWS:
- None at this time.
- March 2015 - During the month of March, the Lobbyit team met with Rep. Adam Kinzinger's (R-IL) office to generate support for the Counseling for Career Choice Act and touch base on the Perkins Modernization Act. The team also continued to track the ongoing Senate negotiations concerning the Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA) reauthorization. Read more...
On September 1, 2014, Rebecca Dedmond and Charles Lehman became Co-Chairs of the NCDA Government Relations (GR) Committee. In addition to being active GR Committee members, they bring extensive professional experience and leadership to this important position. Rebecca is the Director, MA in School Counseling at George Washington University, Alexandria Center, and has served as NCDA Board member and liaison to the CDF Council. Charles administers workforce development programs in New Mexico, long-time CDA member, Co-Chairs the NCDA Veterans committee, and has served as NCDA Treasurer and Regional Trustee. Rebecca’s wide range of experience and leadership in education at all levels, and Charles’ leadership and active involvement in workforce development at the local, state and national levels will enable them to serve effectively as Co-Chairs of this important NCDA Committee
LobbyIt staff continue to arrange and facilitate meetings with Members of Congress.These meetings often result from communications with the Members of Congress by NCDA members or GR committee members. They are very helpful, because they give us the opportunity to explain NCDA’s diverse membership and its mission and services, and to ask for the legislative and funding support needed to continue those services. These meetings are the result of grassroots advocacy at work!
- List of committee assignments for the 113th Congress
- Legislative Matrix - House and Senate bill status (as of 7/2013)
- The Automation Foundation and NCDA are working together to convey the message to students, job seekers, returning Veterans, and those in career transition that pursuing a career in the automation profession can be rewarding, and is essential to the long-term viability of our nation's and the world's advanced manufacturing effort. Click here to read the current AF/NCDA Workforce Position Statement.
In this section
RESOURCES FOR MEMBERS
- Why Advocate
- Know Your Elected Officials
- Know the Issues
- Tell Your Story
- Tips for Follow Up
- Get Started Today! Here’s How