Legislative Goals and Objectives
GOAL: the goal of the NCDA Government Relations committee in 2020 will be to identify and seek support for policies and legislation which support the NCDA Legislative Platform and Legislative Priorities.
The NCDA Government Relations (GR) Committee will work to achieve the following objectives in order to accomplish that goal:
- GR Committee members will work collaboratively to identify and support legislation and policies that are of primary concern to NCDA including the areas of elementary and secondary education, veterans support, workforce development, career and technical education, and higher education.
- GR Committee members will encourage NCDA and state CDA division members and leaders, to communicate with their members of Congress to (a) inform them of NCDA's mission, and its resources and programs designed to help people get jobs and advance in a career, and (b) seek their support of authorizing and appropriations legislation needed by NCDA to continue its mission and service.
- The GR Committee will identify needed modifications of existing legislation and policies, and strengthen NCDA's communications systems including its web site, e-bulletins, Career Convergence and Career Developments to keep members and leaders informed of the status of legislation and policies and of needed action related to that legislation and those policies.
- The GR committee will work with and strengthen communications and collaboration with associations and organizations including the American Counseling Association (ACA), the American Association of Community Colleges (AACC), the American School Counselors Association (ASCA), the Association for Career and Technical Education (ACTE), the Automation Federation (AF), and the National Association of State Directors of Career and Technical Education (NASDCTEc) for mutual benefit and to strengthen NCDA's legislative position and achieve NCDA’s policy goals. Communicate with and explore collaboration with organizations whose education goals may be consistent with NCDA's including National Governors' Association, National School Boards Association, Chief State School Officers, U. S. Chamber of Commerce, National PTA, and others.
- The GR Committee will contact U.S. Departments of Education, Labor, Veterans Affairs and other federal workforce and education agencies to provide information on NCDA initiatives beneficial to their responsibilities, discuss possible collaborative efforts, and identify available funding opportunities.